Thursday, November 20, 2014

A Couple of Things

There have been many things going on recently between recent events at the high school and the winter weather; as a result, I wanted to provide you some updates regarding both.

As a follow up regarding the threat at the high school, I wanted to share with you that we feel that we have resolved the case completely; the student who admitted to writing the threat will not be allowed on school property until through his 21st birthday and will be educated off-site, hopefully completing the requirements for a diploma.  I would also like to thank the Barron Police Department and the Barron County Sheriff’s Department for their work and resources that helped us throughout the process.  It is also important to note that the district intends to take threats of this nature very seriously the safety and security of our schools and our students is our primary responsibility.

Secondly, it is worth reminding families about our procedures for cancelling school due to inclement weather particularly in the light of the recent early snow storm.  Due to last year’s “extreme” winter, you are no doubt keenly aware of the phone calls that go out; in addition, we communicate with several television and radio outlets to ensure that everyone is informed.  It is important to note that there are occasions where the cancellations are reported inaccurately on the radio and TV- the phone calls will always contain accurate information- if you are ever in doubt, feel free to call the district office our your child’s school for confirmation or additional information. 

As was indicated above, the safety of our students is our primary concern and having buses and cars out during inclement weather does pose some significant potential issues.  With that said, I want to share with you the process for deciding whether or not to close school when weather conditions are questionable.  Although there are some days when it is a “no-brainer” to cancel school, it is much more common to have to make a judgment call based upon the conditions outside, the weather forecast, and the plans of other area districts.  I would love to say that every decision made is the right one, but that clearly is not the case; I too send my kids on the buses and have to travel the roads to get to school and fully recognize the possible problems that traveling in poor weather can create.  Most of the complexities arise due to the forecast- we have all likely experienced the cancelled school day when the weather predicted never materializes; this causes burdens for the majority of our families due to having to take off of work or attempting to line up day care in a short period of time.  With that said, I do make every effort to meet the educational needs of our students while taking into account their safety and well-being.  I appreciate your support and understanding.

As always, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Craig G. Broeren
District Administrator
715-537-5612 ext. 402